Treatment of sagging above the eyes
Broadly speaking this symptom for the upper eyelid, which covers the eyeball, is sagging above the eyes.
The causes of sagging above the eye are divided into several classifications as shown below.
1. Sagging of the upper eyelid skin with aging
2. Drooping of the excess fat in the upper eyelid (superior orbital fat)
3. Relaxation of the muscle that opens the eye (elevator muscle of the upper eyelid) (senile ptosis)
The treatment method for sagging of the upper eyelid differs depending on the above causes.
1. Sagging of the upper eyelid skin with aging:
The main treatment is to remove the sagging skin.
2. Drooping of the excess fat in the upper eyelid (superior orbital fat):
Asians genetically have much fat surrounding the eyes and the relaxation of the fat supporting tissue with aging causes the fat to droop.
The drooping upper eyelid fat covers the top of the eyeball and is recognized as sagging above the eye. The main treatment is to remove the superior orbital fat.
3. Relaxation of the muscle that opens the eye (elevator muscle of the upper eyelid):
With age the muscle that opens the eye (upper eyelid elevator muscle) begins to relax making the eyelid seems heavier. This condition is called senile ptosis. The treatment is to shorten the upper eyelid elevator muscle to improve opening of the upper eyelid.
Please note that aging is not the only cause of eyelid ptosis as there are several causes. For details, please see the page for eyelid ptosis.